Global Scholars Program
The Global Scholars program is a university-wide initiative designed to increase the capacity of students and faculty to contribute productively as global citizens. The program aims to meet the changing demands brought about by globalization and recognize students and faculty members who structure their learning and work around developing a wider global world view. Global Scholars was created with a U.S. Department of Education Title VI grant in 2008, and opened to student and faculty enrollment in 2009.
The Global Scholars program reflects the College's commitment to developing global perspectives of intellectual inquiry. The program is designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To infuse international and global content throughout the curriculum;
- To increase knowledge and understanding of international and global subject matter through structured multidisciplinary study;
- To improve global literacy by developing the ability to read and write in at least one foreign language;
- To expand the capacity to communicate in and work in foreign cultures;
- To develop and improve cross national skills and competencies through immersion in the social and cultural life of a foreign country; and
- To enhance awareness and understanding of world issues and events by requiring participation in extra-curricula organizations, seminars, workshops, lectures, performances, and the like.
Global Scholars are awarded a medal and official certificate upon successful completion of all requirements. The Global Scholars medal is worn at Commencement in recognition of the Global Scholars' accomplishment.